Extended-wear, disposable soft contacts require little care. For conventional soft contact lenses and other types of contacts, follow your doctor’s suggested care protocols, using only the recommended disinfecting solutions, enzymatic cleaners, re-wetting drops, etc.
Here are some good hygiene tips for all contact lens users:
- Always wash your hands thoroughly with mild soap before inserting contact lens, and dry hands with a lint-free towel.
- Use only the recommended disinfecting and cleaning solutions, not plain tap water.
- To clean, rub contact lens gently with your index finger in the palm of your hand with the recommended cleaning solution.
- Be sure not to touch the tip of your solution bottle with your hand or any other surface to avoid contamination.
- Apply eye makeup after putting in lenses, and remove eye makeup before taking them out.
- Also, apply hairspray and other similar products before inserting contact lenses.
- NEVER put contacts in your mouth to clean or moisten them!
- Never wear someone else’s lenses.
- Remember to also clean your contact lens case with sterile solution or hot tap water every time you use it, allowing it to air day.
- And don’t sleep in your contacts unless you have extended-wear lenses.
- Use ONLY solutions and drops recommended by your eye doctor, and contact the doctor with any questions or concerns.
If you have questions about how to care for your contact lenses, please contact us to make an appointment with Dr. Damiano.